Thursday, December 31, 2009

5-Layer Buttons plus Crackle Glaze

The very first time I learned how to make my own buttons from Lynn's Technique Challenge over at Splitcoast, I've been hooked ever since!!! As long as you have punches or dies, craft glue, and a hole punch...you can make your own buttons!! My first try at this technique, I used stamped images for my button to match my card.....see my earlier 5-layer button HERE.

Here are some easy instructions to make your own 5-layer buttons. Each button will be 5 layers of paper....four layers of any paper you choose, plus your top layer. I chose to use Spellbinders Nested Butterflies and SEI designer paper for my top layers.


After punching out or cutting out your layers, glue each layer together.



On the back of each button, I marked where I wanted to holes to be, then punched them with a Cropodile. If you do not have a heavy punch, you need to punch holes in each single layer before you glue them together. Though I did not take a photo of this step, I used a sanding block to smooth the sides of each button so that the layers are more invisible. I also sponged some color on the sides and top edges.




The next step is to add a clear coat to the top so that your buttons look real! I chose Ranger Crackle Glaze, but Crystal Effects or Ranger Glossy Glaze will work just as well. Now the hard part: waiting for them to dry!!! Helpful Hint: If you know ahead of time that you will be making matching buttons for your project, make the buttons first, then the project after. This will give time for the glaze to dry so that you don't have to pace the floor waiting or try to cheat and apply the buttons before they are dry....it's tempting....I know!!!! Been there, done that!!




Once your buttons are dry, you can add ribbon, thread, hemp, or nothing at all! Here is a close up view of one of my buttons.




And the finished project, featuring more of the SEI paper, "Jolie Chocolat", May Arts satin ribbon, Martha Stuart Doily Lace border punch, Spellbinders Labels Four, and "Thinking of You" stamp set. This was such a blast to make!!



Thanks for stopping by today!! Make sure you come back tomorrow for Our Daily Bread designs' Release Day blog hop, contest information, plus some exciting news! God Bless!

14 comments:

Sabrina Jackson said...

Angie, goodness, this is just BREATHTAKING!!! Love those butterfly buttons you've created....I am a super big butterfly fan...and these beauties look so good on yet another masterpiece you have created here. Absolutely GORGEOUS card!!!!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

Angella, I LOVE these butterfly buttons. How beautiful they are on your lovely card!! Happy New Year, my friend!

Joan Ervin said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Angella....WOW, what beautiful home made buttons and the sentiment is sooo inspirational!!! Have a wonderful and blessed New Years!!!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful! :o)

Natalie said...

Angella, I've been wanting to try this!! Love the pics, so helpful! Beautiful buttons and gorgeous card as usual!! Happy New Year, friend!!

Kathy Ann said...

Now I must make some buttons! Love this card! Wonderful colors & details!

Thanks for sharing the "how to's"
Kathy A
kat1890@hotmail.com

Miss Boo (a.k.a. jen70) said...

Gorgeous card! Love your buttons!

Sarosa said...

Thank you so much for this great idea! I even have a small butterfly punch, oh happy dayj!

Sherry said...

Hi Angella, loved your buttons and I had to make some. Beautiful card!

Sherry Kushibab said...

Angela, Thank you for sharing this. I already have my punch out to play. Your cards are just beautiful.

Dana said...

Thanks so much for sharing this technique!! I can't wait to try it!!
Hugs~
Dana

Jonia said...

I have seen this before, but forgot all about it. I must try this! Thanks Angie!

Queen Mary said...

Angie, this is so wonderful! Thanks so much for showing it again -- I love your leaf button!

Lynne said...

Very clever idea. Can't wait to try it with some of my Spellbinders dies.