Friday, April 17, 2009

Skeem Inspiration Memorial Plaque




For those of you who don't know, I am addicted to the challenges over at Splitcoast! I love rules and suggestions to help lead me in directions I was not expecting to go! My favorite challenge of the week is the Inspiration Challenge on Saturday.....I love trying to recreate the inspiration piece or at least recreate the feeling of it with colors and design! This week's IC was to find inspiration from the Skeem store, which has the most awesome candles, match boxes, lanterns, etc. I chose the Water Jasmine Pillar, because of the GORGEOUS colors!!!



I have been wanting to make this plaque for some time now. When Kelley at Our Daily Bread Designs released this new set, Children of God, I knew it was time for this project. Throw in the IC challenge and I have a perfect combination to get me started.



The wooden plaque was sprayed with "Glacier" Glimmer Mist, then with "Iridescent Gold" Glimmer Mist. The dp is from the "Butterfield" collection by Memory Box, edges sponged with Almost Amethyst. After adhering the dp and image, I sprayed a few layers of clear-coat to make it weather proof. My hubby, Tom, drilled two holes for my dowel rods....then we headed to the cemetary for a nice sunny visit! About a year after we were married, we had a son, Thomas Jr., who died shortly after birth.....he would have been sixteen.....wow, I can't imagine what it would be like living with a teenager right now! But the Lord chose a different path and purpose for us. We have been blessed in so many ways and are so grateful for the knowledge and understanding the Lord has given us. Thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a blessed weekend!!

7 comments:

Betty Wright said...

This is a beautiful piece of art, Angella!!!! Your story is so heart-felt. Thanks so much for sharing.

Joan Ervin said...

What a beautiful design, Angella....perfect to honor your son's memory!! Thanks for sharing your story and blessings to you and your DH!!!

Kelley said...

Big hugs, Angie! I am crying for the loss of your son! Beautiful project!

Lorelie Kim said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL plaque for your angel baby! God bless you and your husband!!

Susan said...

Oh, Angela, how precious your plaque is. Thanks for sharing your art and your heart. And I know you know one day you will be reunited with your son.

I am truly blessed by your post.

Amy Sheffer said...

Oh Angella, I'm so sorry for your loss! What a beautiful tribute piece.

Kathy Jones said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt piece of art Angella. I am so sorry for your loss, although I know that you will meet him again in heaven. {hugs}